Caribbean Tamarind Chickpeas
Here’s a recipe that can be both summery or winter warmery!
The chillies you choose can be as mean as you like; leave the seeds in if you dare. Serve with plain boiled rice.
- 1–2 tsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander (optional)
- 4cm (1½in) fresh root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ butternut squash, peeled, halved, deseeded and cut into 2.5cm (1in) cubes
- 1 hot red chilli (ideally Scotch Bonnet), seeds left in or removed, depending on how hot you like it, finely chopped
- 2 × 400g cans chickpeas, drained
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 3 tsp tamarind paste
- pinch of salt
- pinch of sugar (optional)